Sunday, February 7, 2016

quadcopter racing is hard

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/01/first-person-drone-racing-is-much-harder-than-i-expected/

"But alas, it was all for nought: flying an FPV quadcopter is really hard. Basically, you have two control sticks: the left stick controls thrust and rotation around the Z axis, while the second stick controls planar movement on the X and Y axes. The idea is to use the left stick until you're hovering at about hip height (about half thrust) and then tilt the right stick in the rough direction that you want to go in. I mostly just tried to go forward (that seemed like the sensible option) but even that proved difficult.

After four or five attempts, I did eventually get the quadcopter to hover and bumble forward haphazardly for a couple of seconds—but then I lost control and somehow ended up on a windowsill with my rotor stuck in some kind of rustic bricky crevice. The instructor (Brett Collis, one of the UK's top FPV pilots) told me to cut the power... so I did. My drone quickly fell from the windowsill to the hard floor, leaving my propeller stuck in the brick. Taking off with just three propellers is sadly not possible."

I'm just about ready with my quad to order goggles.  that will be a big leap I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment